Terms and Conditions
The Zephyr Short Story Prize 2019
By participating in The Zephyr Short Story Prize (“Competition”), entrants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
Who can enter
- Entry to the Competition is open to New Zealand permanent residents who are currently residing in New Zealand.
- Work must be original, previously unpublished fiction (including online publications) and not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- Entrants in the Open Division of the Competition must be at least 18 years of age on the date that Competition entries close.
- Entrants in the Junior Division of the Competition must be aged under 18 years of age on the date that Competition entries closes.
- The following individuals excluded from entry into the Competition:
a. members of the Competition screening panel
b. official judge(s) of the Competition.
How to enter
- Entries open on 25 July 2019 and close at 11.59pm on 30 September 2019. To enter the Competition online, entrants must complete the official online entry form for either the Open or Junior Division and attach their entry as a Word document (.doc or .docx).
- Manuscripts submitted must be typed in English in 12pt Times New Roman font, and double-spaced. The story title and page number must appear on each page of the manuscript (as a header or footer).
- The file name of your entry should be the story name.
- Entries may not contain any photographs or illustrations.
- The author’s name or other personal information must not appear anywhere on the story manuscript. All personal information must be listed only on the entry form.
- The word limit is 1,500 words (excluding title) for the Open section, and 1,000 words (excluding title) for the Junior section.
- Entries cannot be altered or changed after they have been submitted.
- Only one entry per person is permitted.
- Stories must be original works of fiction written by an individual author. No entry may have been published or broadcast or won a prize in a previous competition. Entries may not be entered into another competition until after 31st October 2019.
- Entries found to infringe upon anyone’s copyright or are deemed (in the sole discretion of the organiser) to be works of plagiarism will be disqualified from the Competition.
- The Competition judges for 2019 are Linda Burgess (Open division) and Fiona Kidman (Junior division).
- The judge’s decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The results will be announced in early November and published on our website. Only those short-listed will be individually notified.
- The prizes for the Open Division of the Competition are as follows:
1st Prize – $300.00 book tokens, $150 cash
2nd Prize – $200.00 book tokens $100 cash
3rd Prize – $100.00 book tokens $50 cash
- The prizes for the Junior Division of the Competition are as follows:
1st Prize – $150.00 in book tokens
2nd Prize – $100.00 in book tokens
3rd Prize – $50.00 in book tokens
- Prizes are not transferable, nor exchangeable.
- NZSA Wellington Branch may choose to publish winning entries in an anthology or on the website, or in some other form. Permission will be sought from winners at that time.